Make Resolutions Your Home Will Thank You For
As 2017 comes to close, we take time to reflect on the days behind us, while eagerly looking forward to a fresh start. After all, a new year is brimming with possibilities. It’s a time to break bad habits, create new routines, and make meaningful resolutions. As you vow to better your health and lifestyle, though, it’s also important to focus on bettering the health of one of your largest investments: your home.
The go-to company for plumbing, air conditioning, and heating repair in Oak Park, IL and beyond, American Vintage Home encourages homeowners to take advantage of this opportunity and place complete home comfort at the top of their New Year’s resolutions lists. While doing so might not be as fun as trying a new workout program or saving up for a much-needed vacation, properly maintaining your home and its plumbing system are more important than many think.
Flush Bad Habits
Everyone loves spending time at home with friends and family during the holiday season. But, once the festivities are over and the decorations are taken down, it’s the perfect time to get your home in order for the year ahead.
To ensure that your plumbing, in particular, functions better in 2018, commit to these resolutions:
- Think before you flush. There are things that we can’t control, like when children somehow sneak away to flush a toy down the toilet. There are other things, however, that we can be more mindful about flushing—and in the new year, we hope that you vow to do just that. Many items, like wipes, napkins and paper towels, belong in the trashcan.
- Give your water heater some TLC. One thing that we’re all guilty of taking advantage of: the luxury of hot water during the cold winter months. Whether you’re hopping in the shower, relaxing in the bathtub, or doing laundry, hot water is essential in your home. So, use this time of year to schedule a maintenance inspection. This way, you can rest assured that you won’t wake up to a lack of hot water on a frigid morning.
- Make sure your pipes are bundled up. As temperatures continue to drop during the wintertime, water in your pipes freezes and expands, resulting in extreme pressure. In order to ensure that your pipes don’t burst, it’s important to winterize your plumbing and properly insulate them. Pay particular attention to pipes located in areas of your home that aren’t heated, like your garage, attic and crawl space.
- Treat your garbage disposal better. Garbage disposals have made lives a lot easier. Now, the flip of switch and the rumbling of the system make kitchen clean-up super simple. But, like any system, a garbage disposal is not invincible. In the new year, make a pledge to be more mindful of what you’re disposing down the drain. For starters, avoid putting the following: glass, metal, paper, plastic, grease, oil, fat, coffee grounds, pasta, rice, eggshells, and harsh chemicals.
- Get help when you need it. Maybe you’re watching a holiday movie marathon instead of folding the laundry. Or, perhaps you’re waiting an extra day to buy groceries. With some things, it’s OK to procrastinate. However, with other tasks, like plumbing maintenance and repairs, taking a rain check is never a good idea. Start 2018 on the right foot by scheduling a plumbing inspection in order to ensure that everything is working properly. And, as the year progresses, make a promise to keep an eye out for drips, leaks, running toilets, and so on, so that our experts can promptly repair any issues (before they turn into costly catastrophes).
Make 2018 the Best Year Yet
At American Vintage Home, our professionals want to help make the new year the best one yet for you and your family—starting with your home comfort. Whether you’re looking for preventative maintenance or you’re in hot water with an untimely emergency, you can count on us to quickly answer the call. Offering comprehensive plumbing services, from sewer and drain inspection, to water pressure restoration and water filtration, our experts have complete knowledge in the construction of both new and older homes to help you improve your plumbing and save as much money as possible.
A Toast to Home Comfort with American Vintage Home
Our team at American Vintage Home is here to help you start 2018 on the right foot. Whether you’re in need of plumbing service in Wilmette, IL, air quality testing in Evanston, IL, or furnace repair in Oak Park, IL, we’re here to help ensure that you and your family are comfortable—24 hours a day, 365 days of the new year.
To learn more about our services, schedule an appointment online or call American Vintage Home at 847.999.4595 today.