April Showers Bring… Flooding?
We’ll Help You Conquer Common Spring Plumbing Problems
April is finally here, which means warmer temperatures have finally arrived along with the increased likelihood of rain. So, homeowners in the Chicago North Shore area are dealing with spring rains and downpours that can often result in major flooding and water damage. Thankfully, our American Vintage Home team is here to help keep your newer and older homes damage-free.
Stay Above Water
This time of year, heavy rains and thunderstorms are commonplace. And, no matter how hard we try to deny it, every home has some level of flood risk. So, rather than ignoring the possibility, there are simple steps you can take to protect your house from an unwelcomed rush of plumbing issues and water damages.
At American Vintage Home, our experts recommend taking the following proactive measures:
- Be strategic with your downspouts. It’s important to assess how water moves around your home. To do so, watch how the water flows or accumulates during an average storm. Then, from there, be sure to position your downspouts so that they can direct water away from your foundation. This way, your gutter runoff won’t eventually result in leaks in your basement. For extra protection, consider adding a downspout extension to your gutters that can direct water even farther away from your home.
- Keep your gutters clean. Clogged gutters and downspouts can cause damage to your foundation, basement, roof and more. So, be sure to make gutter cleaning a top priority. Remove leaves, twigs, dirt and other debris with a trowel and then install gutter guards to reduce the frequency of gutter cleanings.
- Pay attention to the signs. Small leaks may only be a minor annoyance now, but it’s especially important to get them fixed immediately—before they turn into costly requests for emergency plumbing in Oak Park, IL, or the surrounding communities. This season in particular, be sure to pay extra attention to the early warning signs of leaks. These include dampness in your basement, musty odors and discoloration on the walls.
- Fill and seal the cracks. Basements often experience water damage due to seepage. So, look for cracks or gaps in walls, floors and foundations that would allow water to leak through and then seal them. Of course, if it appears to be a larger problem, turn to our professionals at American Vintage Home for the best solution.
- Consider installing a flood control system. The best way to get complete peace of mind through every storm? Select and install a flood control system. These systems are designed to protect your home when the main sewer lines fail to do so. More specifically, flood control systems prevent sewage from flowing back to your house, directing it instead toward the city sewer lines. These systems also include an ejector pump that discharges wastewater from the house when the city sewer lines back up and the flappers to your system are closed.
When the Storm Passes
Unfortunately, it is sometimes too late to fully prepare your home for a major storm. Or, maybe you took prevention steps, but an unexpected issue arose. In circumstances like these, our American Vintage Home team is here to help bring a level of comfort back to your life—starting with your home’s plumbing and sewer systems.
For those who have dealt with flooding issues, who have slow drains, who encounter major backups and so on, trust our team to do the job right. Without digging up your lawn, our expert technicians can fully inspect and repair your sewer system with trenchless relining in Oak Park, IL, and the rest of the Chicago North Shore area. Fast, cost-effective and nonintrusive, our trenchless technology enables us to quickly identify and remedy any issues—without destroying your lush greenery.
Call American Vintage Home in Evanston, IL, for Plumbing & Sewer Services
Few things cause more frustration than plumbing and sewer problems. But, at American Vintage Home, our team is dedicated to keeping these unpleasant issues and water damages at bay. Offering comprehensive plumbing services for homeowners in the Chicago North Shore area, we utilize our complete knowledge in the construction of newer and older homes to get your system up and running properly—quickly and efficiently.