Is Your Home Ready for Memorial Day?
Kick Off Summer on the Right Note
Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of summer. And after such a long winter, the warm weather brings some much-needed change.
Are you hosting a barbecue or party this year? If so, you’ve probably started preparing already. But besides cleaning the pool and arranging the outdoor furniture, what else can you do to get your space ready?
As your local home professionals, we have some tips to share with you. Certain things in the home—such as your air conditioner or plumbing—can be easy to overlook. But when the party’s just getting started and you need to schedule emergency air conditioning repair in Oak Park, IL, this can definitely put a damper on the day. Consider the following tips to set the wheels in motion for a relaxing weekend and summer.
Your May Checklist:
- Be mindful of what goes down the garbage disposal. Avoid putting pasta, grease, oil, coffee grounds and fibrous materials such as corn husks down the disposal. Chop large foods into smaller pieces before disposing of them. Whenever the disposal is in use, run a steady stream of cold water to solidify any grease so it doesn’t enter your plumbing.
- Put wastebaskets in all of the bathrooms. Deter your guests from flushing feminine hygiene products, wipes and other items down the toilet. Even if you don’t regularly use every bathroom in your home, this doesn’t mean your guests won’t use them. Place wastebaskets in every bathroom for the time being to prevent toilet clogs.
- Schedule that AC tune-up. A seasonal tune-up is the best way to avoid emergency repairs. During a tune-up, our technicians will tighten and lubricate the inner components to ensure your system will do its job come summer.
- Consider replacing your AC if it’s more than 10 years old. Older systems are more susceptible to repairs and technical issues. If your AC is near the 10-year mark or you weren’t happy with its performance last summer, consider replacing it sooner rather than later. We carry energy-efficient models that will minimize your energy bills and provide maximum comfort.
- Set the ceiling fans to rotate in a counterclockwise direction. During the hotter months, you want the air from your ceiling fans to be pushed downward. Check all of your ceiling fans to ensure they’re moving in the right direction.
- Schedule a drain cleaning if your home has slow-moving or backed-up drains. A slow-moving drain today can be a mess tomorrow. If you’ve noticed an issue with your drains, schedule a drain cleaning before the weekend kicks off. Learn more about our drain cleaning service and our $99 drain clearing offer.
- Test the sump pump to ensure it’s working properly. Pour about five gallons of water into your sump pump to make sure the water pumps out. If your pump doesn’t pass the test, we can either repair or replace your system. Don’t let a summer storm ruin the party and, even worse, flood your basement.
- Clean the home to remove dust and other allergens. Pet dander, pollen and dust mites are just some of the pollutants that might be in your home. Clean your home hours or days before the party to minimize the amount of dust in the air when your guests arrive.
Other Questions? Ask the Experts!
Have another question about your home? We’re always here to help! Submit your question online and one of our experts will get back to you with an answer.
Thanking Our U.S. Military
At American Vintage Home, we understand the true meaning of Memorial Day. We want to thank all U.S. military members for their courage and strength. We honor all of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to protect our freedom and to keep our country safe.
Stay Cool & Comfortable This Summer With American Vintage Home
Summer is a time to unwind and take it easy. At American Vintage Home, we want you to fully enjoy your home with family and friends. Whatever you need this summer, whether it’s AC repair in Hyde Park, IL, or sewer line repair in Wilmette, IL, we’re here 24/7 to make your summer a breeze.